As a weight loss surgery patient, you will find that it is extremely important to be surrounded by healthy minded individuals. It can be really easy to fall off the wagon if you don’t have the right support system motivating you. One of the hardest things to overcome after bariatric surgery is trying to make healthy changes when your partner or someone you spend a significant amount of time with does not want to make those healthy changes as well. Here are a few tips to help you encourage them to get healthy with you:
- Tell them you need their support. Communication is key! Right from the start, talk to this person and tell them that their bad habits are affecting you and that you need their support if you are going to be successful.
- Ask the person to workout with you. It doesn’t have to be going to a gym. It could be just asking the person to go on a walk with you at the park.
- Make healthy meals together. It can be really fun exploring new flavors together.
- Give the person goals to achieve. People are really motivated by positive reinforcement. If you have someone who needs to get healthier with you, work together to motivate each other through positive reinforcement.
- Set good examples. After so long, most people end up coming around. It is so much harder to cook two different meals and have different lifestyles. More than likely the unhealthy person will realize it’s time to make a change.
- Don’t nag. It has to be something they choose to do on their own. Give them space and let them come to the conclusion on their own.
Remember that having a support system is critical after weight loss surgery. Before you have the procedure, talk to your loved ones and make sure they are on the same page. This will make the post-op process so much easier. Good luck!