After weight loss surgery, your diet is completely different. No matter what type of bariatric surgery you have, your stomach and the way you digest food has changed. Since your anatomy has changed, you must make changes with the foods you eat. You have just had surgery and your stomach needs time to heal. Due to this, your surgeon will put you on a specific post-op diet to gradually put foods back into your diet. It is crucial that you follow this diet so you don’t get sick or hurt yourself. Eating foods too soon can damage your new stomach.
The first stage after bariatric surgery is the liquid stage. This liquid stage is broken up into two different types: clear liquids and full liquids. Typically, surgeons will have you on the clear liquid diet for about a week after weight loss surgery. Then, you transition to the full liquid stage for another 1-2 weeks. This can sound a little intimidating. Some people get nervous when they hear they have to be on a liquid diet for this long. In addition to the post-op diet, you have already been on a pre-op diet as well. It can sound terrifying, but it really isn’t that bad.
Here are some tasty things you can eat while on the clear liquid diet
- Sugar free popsicles—Seriously, have a blast! Eat popsicles like there is no tomorrow (just make sure they are sugar free!)
- Sugar free jello— Get as many flavors as you can and enjoy the chewing sensation.
- Sugar free non-carbonated drinks— My favorite was crystal light lemonade! This helped me get my water in every day.
- Decaf coffee or tea—If you love the taste of coffee and tea, this is fine to have during this stage.
- Broth—You can get very creative with this. Try new flavors and be open to the fact that your taste might be a little different after surgery. I loved getting miso soup and straining it during this stage.
Now, once you get to the next stage of the liquid diet, you’ll be able to add more in…and boy will you be ready!
- Sugar-free pudding—This is a great way to satisfy your sweet tooth.
- Soup—You will be so ready for more flavors after the broth stage. Start adding in a thicker consistency of soup, such as tomato soup. Take it slow and be patient with your body.
- Fat-free yogurt or cottage cheese—This is a great time to start adding these foods in to create healthy habits.
- Protein shake with milk – Start the habit now and get your protein shake in!
- Sugar-free applesauce—Make sure it is thinned and sugar-free.
Honestly, the liquid stage isn’t terrible and it goes by very fast. More than anything, make sure you are drinking your water and staying hydrated! As soon as your surgeon clears you, start taking your vitamins!! You are so fresh from surgery and it is important to make sure you stay healthy during this healing process. You got this!!