Article By: Whittany Gibson, RDN
Whittany is a Registered Dietitian Nutritionist who specializes in bariatric nutrition counseling, and owner of Level Up Bariatrics, LLC, a bariatric lifestyle coaching program that provides pre and post-op support for weight loss surgery patients.
Most of us learn sooner or later that weight loss surgery is not only about surgery and losing weight... It also involves dealing with mental and emotional challenges that may come along with making significant lifestyle changes. One of these challenges is overcoming food addiction impulses. You may find it hard to resist certain foods or binge on unhealthy snacks even though you know they are not suitable for you. But there are ways to deal with these impulses. In this blog post, we’ll explore one method called the Chimp Paradox and how it can help you overcome food addiction impulses.
1) The Chimp Paradox. The Chimp Paradox is a concept introduced by Dr. Steve Peters in his book of the same name. According to Peters, we all have a part of our brain that he calls the "chimp". The chimp is the emotional, impulsive part of the brain that often acts without restraint. It can be responsible for our unhealthy food cravings and impulsive eating behaviors. However, we also have the rational, logical part of the brain called the "human". The human brain allows us to make sensible choices and control our impulses.
2) Visualization techniques. The key to overcoming food addiction impulses is strengthening our human brain and learning to manage our chimp brain. One way of doing this is through mindfulness and visualization techniques. For example, try visualizing your "chimp" as a mischievous monkey and your "human" as a wise and calm mentor. Whenever you feel an impulse to eat unhealthy foods, imagine your chimp getting excited and jumping around, but your human calming it down and reminding it of your goals and priorities.
3) Set up a support system. Another way of dealing with food addiction impulses is through setting up a support system. This can include family, friends, or a professional therapist. Surrounding yourself with people who understand your challenges and offer positive reinforcement can go a long way in helping you overcome food addiction impulses.
4) Establish healthy habits. It's also important to introduce healthy habits into your routine, such as regular exercise, meditation, and balanced meals. These habits can help reduce stress levels and increase dopamine levels, making it easier to resist unhealthy food cravings.
5) Show compassion for yourself. Lastly, it's essential to be kind to yourself and practice self-compassion. Overcoming food addiction impulses is a process, and setbacks will happen. Instead of beating yourself up after a slip-up, focus on your progress and achievements. Remember that you are on a journey towards a healthy and happier version of yourself.
In conclusion, food addiction impulses can be overwhelming, but they are not impossible to overcome. With the Chimp Paradox as a guide, you can learn to manage your emotions and impulses better. Through visualization techniques, setting up a support system, introducing healthy habits, and practicing self-compassion, you can take control of your cravings and resist unhealthy food choices. Remember that weight loss is not only about physical change but also mental and emotional transformation. With determination, patience, and a positive mindset, you can achieve your goals and live a healthier and happier life.
BariMelts provides general recommendations, not to be construed as medical advice. Please consult your doctor.