As a bariatric patient, there are a lot of emotional changes that happen after surgery. It can be overwhelming to deal with your emotions and your mental health might be challenged. It is important that you deal with those emotions so you do not turn to binge eating or any other bad habits. One of the most helpful things you can do as a bariatric patient is to reflect. Reflecting on your life can help you tremendously on a weight loss surgery journey. Meditation is one of the most impactful ways to calm your body and reflect on your life. There are so many benefits of meditation that can help you as you navigate through this journey. Here are some of those benefits:
- Reduces stress. Stress is everywhere, but after surgery, it can be heightened and increase the chances of depression. Meditation has been shown to reduce stress and help with your emotions. There are stressors that come with weight loss surgery and it is important to recognize those from the beginning. Meditation can decrease your stress so you can focus on getting healthy.
- Enhances self-awareness. Meditation can be very powerful and help you with your self-awareness. After surgery, you might struggle with self-awareness since your body is changing so much and your mind can’t keep up. One of the most beautiful things about this journey is how amazing it is when you truly find yourself. By incorporating meditation, it will help you get there faster.
- May help fight addictions. There is research that suggests that meditation can help people fighting with addictions. Many people who have bariatric surgery suffer from a food addiction and it can be difficult trying to deal with it after surgery. By adding in meditation, you are able to focus in on that addiction and try to figure out why you turn to food in the first place.
- Improves sleep. Sleep is so important when you are trying to maintain a healthy lifestyle. Meditating before bed can help relax you and get you ready for a night of restful sleep.
- Helps control pain. If you are on a weight loss surgery journey, chances are you are adding in some sort of exercise. If you have gone a long time without working out, it can be painful. Meditating can help calm your muscles and help alleviate some of the pain you are feeling.
There are so many benefits of adding meditation into your life. Since you are on a weight loss surgery journey, you are rediscovering who you are. Meditation is such a beautiful thing and can help you find yourself. If you have never tried it before, give it a shot! I know you will not be disappointed.