Article By: Maria Tucker, MPH, RDN, LDN, CDCES
Maria Tucker is a Registered Dietitian and Certified Diabetes Educator with over 20 years of experience assisting patients with diabetes, obesity, and nutrition-related conditions.
Halloween is usually associated with candy, chocolate, Peep ghosts or pumpkins, and candy corn to name a few... When you are trying to lose weight or have had bariatric surgery, it is very tempting to over-indulge on leftover candy or nibble on them as you prepare your Halloween candy basket. Below are recipes for Halloween treats you should not be scared of. BOO!
1) Witches’ Broom Sticks.
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Servings: 6 (2 broom sticks per serving)
- 4 reduced-fat mozzarella string cheese sticks
- 12 thin whole wheat pretzel sticks
- 12 chive stalks
- Cut each cheese stick into 3 equal pieces.
- Spread the cheese stick apart halfway to resemble a broom.
- Push the pretzel into the end of the string cheese.
- Tie one chive stalk on the upper end of the string cheese.
- Serve with black and green olives.
2) Monster Apple Mouth.
- 2 large Granny Smith apples, quartered and cored
- 4 tablespoons cashew butter
- 32 pumpkin seeds, roasted
- 4 slices ham
- 16 dried blueberries
- Cut out the middle part of the apple quarter to make a mouth.
- Spread peanut butter on the bottom inside part of the “mouth”.
- Cut each ham slice into 8 pieces resembling a tongue.
- Place one ham “tongue” on top of the cashew butter.
- Push 4 pumpkin seeds on top edge of the apple quarter to resemble teeth.
- Glue 2 dried blueberries onto top part of apple quarter with cashew butter to resemble eyes.
3) Crispy Fruit Chocolate Bark Thins.
- 1 pack Crispy Fruit (0.36 oz.)
- 8 ounces dark chocolate squares or morsels
- 1⁄4 cup pistachios, coarsely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup walnuts, coarsely chopped
- 1⁄2 tsp. coarse sea salt
- Melt dark chocolate in microwave in a small glass bowl. It takes about 30 seconds to melt chocolate. Stir until all chocolate is melted and smooth.
- Line a 9-inch square pan with parchment paper. Spray parchment paper lightly with cooking oil spray.
- Pour melted chocolate onto parchment paper lined pan. Even out chocolate to the edges to make a thin layer.
- Sprinkle chopped nuts evenly onto melted chocolate.
- Break Crispy Fruit into smaller pieces.
- Sprinkle Crispy Fruit onto nut covered chocolate. Press the Crispy Fruit pieces lightly to set into chocolate.
- Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or until chocolate is set and hardened.
- Break chocolate bark into small pieces. Keep chocolate bark pieces in an airtight container in the refrigerator.