Article By: Maria Tucker, MPH, RDN, LDN, CDCES
Maria Tucker is a Registered Dietitian and Certified Diabetes Educator with over 20 years of experience assisting patients with diabetes, obesity, and nutrition-related conditions.
Ever been inside Costco? Most of us have, right? It is dizzying looking at the array of snacks offered there. Take heart! We have looked at a few of these snacks that are great for patients who have had bariatric surgery and/or people trying to lose weight. These protein-containing snacks are tasty, filling, and can satisfy cravings without the guilt!
1) Kirkland Signature Chocolate Brownie Protein Bar. If you are a chocolate lover, this may be the protein bar for you. It has 190 calories, 21 grams protein, 10 grams fiber, and only 2 grams of sugar. It is gluten-free, has no artificial flavors, and is naturally sweetened with stevia. It also comes in chocolate peanut butter chunk and chocolate chip flavors as well.
2) Think Jerky Grass-Fed Beef Sticks. Rejoice, jerky lovers! This “meat stick” is lower in sodium than most jerky, has 8 grams protein, only 5 grams fat, and 80 calories per serving. Think Jerky meat snacks also come in jerky (not stick) varieties, with flavors such as sesame teriyaki and chipotle.
3) Planters Salted Peanuts (1 oz. packs). If you’re looking for a crunchy afternoon snack to help you stay alert and boost your energy, this is the snack for you. Containing 7 grams protein and 170 calories per 1 ounce pack, it also provides magnesium, vitamin E, niacin, manganese, calcium, iron, and potassium.
4) Nature’s Garden Keto Snack Mix. This delicious mix of macadamias, pecans, almonds, pepitas (pumpkin seeds), and cheese balls provides 170 calories, 7 grams protein, and 2 grams fiber per 1 ounce serving. It also contains micro-encapsulated probiotics!
5) Sonoma Creamery Pepper Jack Crisps. This single-serve snack provides 130 calories and 10 grams protein per 1 ounce pack. It is a good source of calcium, providing 330 mg of this mineral per serving.
When looking for healthy snacks, read the Nutrition Facts label on the back or side of the package before purchasing. Snacks you purchase should have less than 200 calories per serving, at least 7 grams protein, 10 grams or less of sugar, and 5 grams or less of fat per serving. Having at least 2-5 grams of fiber per serving is a bonus!
BariMelts provides general recommendations, not to be construed as medical advice. Please consult your doctor.