Having weight loss surgery is life changing! There are so many positive things that come from bariatric surgery, but it is important to remember that the surgery won’t fix everything. Here are 10 things not to do after weight loss surgery!
- Don’t ever put soda back into your diet. The carbonation hurts anyway so you shouldn’t want to put it back in your diet. There is debate on whether or not soda can stretch your stomach back out, but regardless it is a bad habit to have. Stay away from soda, even diet soda!
- Don’t eat high sugar foods. The last thing you want is dumping syndrome. It is so uncomfortable. Sugar is your worse enemy as a bariatric patient.
- Don’t skip out on your vitamins. This is one of the most important things to remember after weight loss surgery. We can get extremely deficient in vitamins and it can be really dangerous. Start a vitamin routine and stick to it!
- Don’t forget the mental side of a weight loss journey. This journey is hard, very hard. It can take a toll on your emotions. Don’t forget to practice self-care and remember that your emotional journey is just as important as your physical journey.
- Don’t eat and drink at the same time. This can play a role in regain and it is also very uncomfortable when you feel full so fast.
- Don’t miss your post op appointments. Stay connected with your bariatric surgeon and the entire staff. They are there to support you after surgery as well and will keep you on track.
- Don’t do this alone. There is an amazing bariatric community and we all need each other.
- Don’t forget to work out. No matter what type of exercise it is, put something into your life.
- Don’t forget to keep track of non-scale victories. Remember that the scale isn’t everything and there are so many more accomplishments to be proud of, such as how your clothes fit and being able to do things you weren’t able to do before. One of my biggest non-scale victories was when I could fit in an airplane seat for the first time!
- Don’t forget to reward yourself. This is so important because we are creatures that love positive reinforcement. Just remember not to use food to reward yourself!
Make sure you don't do these 10 things and you will be on the path towards a healthier, happier you! YOU GOT THIS!