This blog is written by Kimberly H, a bariatric patient who discusses being a new mother, eating well, working out, and trying to lose weight after weight loss surgery. Aside from sharing her experience with WLS, she discusses motivation, self-love, and mental health.
After weight loss surgery, your diet is completely different. No matter what type of bariatric surgery you have, your stomach and the way you digest food has changed. Since your anatomy has changed, you must make changes with the foods you eat. You have just had surgery and your stomach needs time to heal. Due to this, your surgeon will put you on a specific post-op diet to gradually put foods back into your diet. It is crucial that you follow this diet so you don’t get sick or hurt yourself. Eating foods too soon can damage your new stomach.
The first stage of bariatric surgery is the liquid stage
This liquid stage is broken up into two different types: clear liquids and full liquids. Typically, you will be asked to follow a liquid diet for a week after weight loss surgery. However, some doctors will also require it before the procedure. Following that, you transition from liquid to full liquid for another 1-2 weeks. This can sound a little intimidating. The idea of being on a liquid diet for so long makes some people nervous. In addition to the post-op diet, you also received a pre-operative diet. Even though the idea sounds horrifying, it's actually not that bad.
Here are some tasty things you can eat while on the clear liquid diet
- Sugar free popsicles—Seriously, have a blast! Eat popsicles like there is no tomorrow (just make sure they are sugar free!)
- Sugar free jello— Get as many flavors as you can and enjoy the chewing sensation.
- Sugar free non-carbonated drinks— My favorite was crystal light lemonade! This helped me get my water in every day.
- Decaf coffee or tea—If you love the taste of coffee and tea, this is fine to have during this stage.
- Broth—You can get very creative with this. Try new flavors and be open to the fact that your taste might be a little different after surgery. I loved getting miso soup and straining it during this stage.
Now, once you get to the next stage of the liquid diet, you’ll be able to add more in…and boy will you be ready!
- Sugar-free pudding—This is a great way to satisfy your sweet tooth.
- Soup—You will be so ready for more flavors after the broth stage. Start adding in a thicker consistency of soup, such as tomato soup. Take it slow and be patient with your body.
- Fat-free yogurt or cottage cheese—This is a great time to start adding these foods in to create healthy habits.
- Protein shake with milk – Start the habit now and get your protein shake in!
- Sugar-free applesauce—Make sure it is thinned and sugar-free.
Honestly, the liquid stage isn’t terrible and it goes by very fast. More than anything, make sure you are drinking your water and staying hydrated! As soon as your surgeon clears you, start taking your vitamins!! You are so fresh from surgery and it is important to make sure you stay healthy during this healing process. You got this!!
Sign up for our newsletter to stay up to date on Bariatric tips, recipes, and more!