Article By: Whittany Gibson, RDN
Whittany is a Registered Dietitian Nutritionist who specializes in bariatric nutrition counseling, providing education and support prior to and following weight loss surgery.
The decision to undergo weight loss surgery is a significant one that requires careful consideration and research. Many people choose to travel abroad for their procedures due to the lower costs and shorter wait times. While this may seem like an attractive option, there are some crucial things you should know before booking your surgery overseas. In this blog post, we will discuss the essential factors that you should consider before traveling abroad for WLS.
1) Research the surgeon & the hospital. When considering a foreign country for your bariatric surgery, it's important to thoroughly research the surgeon and the hospital you'll be visiting. Check the surgeon's credentials and how many bariatric surgeries they've performed. Also, take some time to read about the hospital's facilities, reputation, and the types of bariatric surgeries offered. You can read reviews on dedicated websites or forums from previous patients who have already gone through the same procedure.
2) Understand the risks. Any surgical procedure carries some risks, so it's essential to understand the potential complications of WLS. Ensure you know the surgery's risks and what you need to do post-surgery to avoid any complications. Shorter wait times for getting to surgery can also be a concern, considering the preparation of lifestyle changes required to succeed with your surgery. If not your surgery center, ensure you follow a program to prepare at least a few months before surgery.
3) Consider language & cultural differences. Communication is crucial for any surgical procedure, and traveling abroad means you may not speak the language fluently. Make sure you choose a destination where you can easily communicate with healthcare professionals. Additionally, cultural differences may influence the medical approach, so you should research how the procedure is usually handled in the country and what you can expect.
4) Plan for a safe recovery. Recovery is a critical part of the trip when you travel to another country for bariatric surgery. You'll need to plan to stay in the country for a while to recover adequately. Your surgeon will provide recovery instructions, and you should follow them accordingly. You should also plan to travel with a companion who will help you recover, as it can be strenuous to travel back home after recovering.
5) Understand any financial risks & legal protections. Medical procedures always come with a cost, and traveling abroad may seem less expensive. However, there may be hidden expenses, such as travel or accommodations. You should also consider the financial and legal protections you have or don't have if something goes wrong during the surgery or recovery.
Traveling abroad for weight loss surgery may be an attractive option due to its lower costs and shorter wait times; however, it's essential to understand the potential risks and challenges involved. To ensure the best possible outcome and safety, it's crucial to research the surgeon, clinic, and destination thoroughly, understand the potential complications, consider language and cultural differences, have an aftercare plan, and understand the financial and legal risks involved. By taking these steps, you can make an informed decision while enjoying the benefits of affordable, high-quality medical care abroad.
BariMelts provides general recommendations, not to be construed as medical advice. Please consult your doctor.