Article By: Whittany Gibson, RDN
Whittany is a Registered Dietitian Nutritionist who specializes in bariatric nutrition counseling, providing education and support prior to and following weight loss surgery.
Do you ever feel so unmotivated that you need a little kickstart to get you going? Perhaps your mental or physical energy is so low you want to do absolutely nothing. This is sometimes how I feel when it's time to clean the pile of dirty dishes in the sink, fold the laundry that's been sitting in the basket for three days, or even more so, exercise. What if you could add a little rhythm to the mix to get your energy flowing?
There's nothing worse (for me and many others) than exercising in silence. It's not motivating. Am I right? But as soon as I hear something fast-paced with a good beat, I start moving, feel more energetic, and want to push myself harder. It's so mind-blowing to me how music can do this. Our brains can quickly shift energies just by listening to sounds and lyrics, which can take us from zero to hero in seconds. Some people are just as happy with listening to a podcast or audiobook, but if music is your jam, check out this killer playlist and add it to your library on your favorite streaming service. A few of these songs just might be the ones that push you past your preconceived stopping point and get you to your goals faster.
*Disclaimer: Some of these songs may include explicit content. Choose a censored filter within your streaming service if you want censored versions.
- Whatever It Takes - Imagine Dragons
- Unstoppable (R3HAB Remix) - Sia, R3HAB
- Fighter - Christina Aguilera
- Thunder - Imagine Dragons
- Eye of the Tiger - Survivor
- All I Do is Win - DJ Khaled
- Hall of Fame (feat. will.i.am) - The Script
- Till I Collapse - Eminem, Nate Dogg
- Can't Hold Us - Macklemore & Ryan Lewis
- Natural - Imagine Dragons
- Shivers - Ed Sheeran
- Dynamite - BTS
- Piece of Your Heart - Meduza, Goodboys
- Cold Heart (PNAU Remix) - Elton John, Dua Lipa, PNAU
- Higher Love - Kygo, Whitney Houston
- Rain on Me (with Ariana Grande) - Lady Gaga, Ariana Grande
- Dreams (2004 Remaster) - Fleetwood Mac
- Happy - Pharrell Williams
- Lovely Day - Bill Withers
- Flower (B-Sides) - Moby
- Stupid Love - Lady Gaga
- Break My Soul - Beyonce
- Good Feeling - Flo Rida
- Let's Get It Started - Black Eyed Peas
- I Gotta Feeling - Black Eyed Peas
- The Show Goes On - Lupe Fiasco
- Uptown Funk (feat. Bruno Mars) - Mark Ronson, Bruno Mars
- Blinding Lights - The Weeknd
- Feel It Still - Portugal. The Man
- Head and Heart (feat MNEK) - Joel Corry, MNEK
Before you go all in, I’ll leave you with a couple of pro tips. Ensure you have a good-fitting pair of earbuds or earphones. If they fit well, you can focus on groovin’ on the elliptical rather than constantly adjusting them. Trust me, they can make or break your workout experience. I’ve admittedly left the gym before just because of earphone mishaps and not being able to listen to my music. I know, I know... Weak. Lastly, don’t forget to charge them as soon as you’re finished so that you're ready for next time!