Jalapeño Popper Chicken Bake
As is the goal of bariatric patients to consume more protein, most bariatric recipes are packed full of protein and low on carbohydrates. However, prioritizing protein doesn’t have to mean compromising flavor. A lot of fellow bariatrics think they have to make foods healthier by seasoning less, when in fact spices will not only make foods more enjoyable but also create tantalizing new flavor profiles (and keep you interested). I think mainstream diet culture has a lot to do with this convoluted misconception; but adding spices to your foods post WLS surgery is actually encouraged unless it irritates your new stomach pouch. Additionally, when you season your food properly, you’re inclined to use less salt. We can all use less sodium in our diets.
I first discovered Jalapeño poppers at a party in 2016, and I was instantly smitten! The ingredients include bacon and cream cheese: Need I say more? Ha Ha!
According to the U.S. Department of Agriculture, here’s the protein content for some of the ingredients in this recipe:
- 1 oz of chicken contains 8 grams of protein.
- 1 oz of cream cheese has 1.7 grams of protein.
- 1 oz of bacon packs a whopping 10.6 grams of protein! Now that’s a great reason to eat bacon without too much shame; however, if you don’t like bacon or can’t eat it, you can easily bypass using it in this recipe.
If you’re cooking for the family, this bake recipe is guaranteed to please everyone.
Jalapeño popper chicken bake – is quick and easy. Family and even guests will love this delicious protein-packed recipe.
Ready to eat in 30 minutes, this recipe features Shredded chicken, Jalapeño peppers, cream cheese, heavy cream, cheddar cheese, and topped with bacon. This is a solid chicken bake recipe you can make for home or even a party. Recipe is Gluten-free, and low-carb (keto friendly).
- 2 lbs (about 3-4 chicken breasts) cooked and shredded.
- 1 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 8 oz cream cheese (at room temperature or softened)
- 1/2 cup heavy cream (use milk in lieu of heavy cream)
- 1/4 cup water or vegetable stock
- 1/2 pound (about 5-6 peppers) Jalapeño peppers
- 4 oz grated cheddar cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon of paprika spice
- 1/2 cup of bacon pieces (cooked crispy)
- Pepper to taste
- Chopped parsley for garnish (optional)*
- Start by Preheating your oven to 375˚F. Layer shredded chicken at the bottom and sprinkle paprika, garlic powder, and some pepper to taste.
- Mix the softened cream cheese, heavy cream, and stock. Spread evenly over chicken.
- After washing peppers, cut the tops off, and remove the seeds and stems if you want it milder, or leave some if you want it spicier. Cut peppers into strips or in fourths and layer on top of the chicken and cream cheese mixture. Sprinkle cheddar cheese all over the top.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until it looks bubbly and hot. About 5 minutes before it’s done cooking, take out of the oven and sprinkle the crumbles of bacon. Replace and finish cooking.
Garnish with freshly chopped parsley (or don’t) either way it will disappear.