Article By: Whittany Gibson, RDN
Whittany is a Registered Dietitian Nutritionist who specializes in bariatric nutrition counseling, and owner of Level Up Bariatrics, LLC, a bariatric lifestyle coaching program that provides pre and post-op support for weight loss surgery patients.
Supercharge your sedentary job after weight loss surgery with these genius calorie-burning tactics! Don't let your desk-bound routine slow you down — every little bit counts. By incorporating these simple tips into your day, you'll be amazed at the massive impact they can have on your fitness journey. Whether you are working from home or in a shared office setting, these calorie-busting strategies will be sure to help you shed weight, keep it off, and maintain a healthy outlook on improving your overall wellness.
1) Take regular breaks. One of the best ways to get more out of your sedentary job is to take regular breaks throughout the day. Taking a few minutes every hour or so to stand up and stretch can help to increase your energy levels and keep you from feeling sluggish. Additionally, taking a short walk around the office during these breaks can help boost your circulation and burn extra calories. Need some motivation? Add a step count goal to your day. Mini walking breaks can make a tremendous difference when you add them all together!
2) Stand up while working. Another great way to get more out of your sedentary job is to stand up while working whenever possible. Standing up while talking on the phone or reading emails can help you burn more calories than sitting in one spot all day. If you don’t have a standing desk, try using a stack of books or boxes to raise your computer monitor so that you can work comfortably while standing up.
3) Use an exercise ball as your chair. Using an exercise ball as your chair is another great way to burn more calories at work. Sitting on an exercise ball requires you to use your core muscles to maintain balance, which helps to strengthen them over time. Additionally, bouncing slightly on the ball while sitting can help increase blood flow and energize you throughout the day. You can keep your ball on a base for more stability or sit on it for more of a challenge!
Looking to improve your energy levels after surgery? Did you know BariMelts B12 Plus is designed to support bariatric patients' mental clarity, energy, and mood?
4) Do desk exercises. Performing simple desk exercises such as stretching and lightweight training can also be a great way to get more out of your sedentary job. These exercises are easy enough that they won’t disrupt your work but will still provide some physical activity throughout the day that will help keep you energized and focused on the tasks at hand. Resistance bands are also a great tool to keep nearby. Complete a few sets of exercises during each break, and you’ve completed legitimate exercise — anything is always better than nothing at all!
5) Get creative with movement. Getting creative with movement is another great way to stay active while at work without disrupting productivity too much. For example, try doing calf raises or squats while waiting for documents to print or take the stairs instead of the elevator when heading down for lunch break! Every bit of extra movement adds up over time and will help keep you feeling energized throughout the day!
6) Invest in ergonomic furniture. Finally, investing in ergonomic furniture such as adjustable desks and chairs can also be beneficial if you are looking for ways to get more out of your sedentary job without having too much disruption during work hours. Ergonomic furniture allows for better posture, which helps reduce fatigue by distributing body weight evenly across larger muscle groups rather than putting strain on specific areas like the neck and shoulders, which can lead to pain after prolonged periods of sitting or standing in one spot all day long!
Incorporating these simple tactics into your daily work routine can make a world of difference in your weight loss journey and overall health. Remember, it's the little things that add up over time and lead to significant progress. By taking regular breaks, standing up while working, using an exercise ball as your chair, doing desk exercises, getting creative with movement, and investing in ergonomic furniture, you will see positive results. Don't let a sedentary job hold you back from your fitness goals — with determination and these helpful tips, you can supercharge your weight loss journey and feel energized throughout the day.
BariMelts provides general recommendations, not to be construed as medical advice. Please consult your doctor.