One of the most exciting parts of weight loss surgery is your new body and confidence afterward! Losing a ton of weight can give you a boost of self-esteem that you had no idea you were missing. If you are single, this can be a very exciting time. That’s not to say that being married is boring, but there is a beauty behind finding yourself after weight loss surgery when you are single that I think is a really neat experience.
Dating can be extremely terrifying, with or without weight loss surgery. As a bariatric patient, you’ll have some things you will need to consider that could potentially make the experience a little more stressful. Will you tell your date about the surgery? If not, what if they comment about the amount of food you eat? Will you be self-conscious about the scars and loose skin? Will they be supportive and have a healthy lifestyle with you? There are so many things that might be running through your head.
If you are a bariatric patient and are looking to get back into the dating world, here are a few tips that might help you get started.
1. Be yourself. Always be yourself. Don’t feel like you need to lie about who you are. This surgery is a part of you so own that and be proud of the person you are.
2. Find someone who is excited to have a healthy lifestyle with you. You don’t need negativity in your life! Surround yourself with people who are going to lift you up and help you on your journey. This can be so much fun when you are getting to know someone. Try going for a date at a park or doing something active together! It will start your relationship off with health as a huge priority.
3. You are going through a major transition. Don’t feel like you just need to find someone right away. Be comfortable exploring and seeing the type of person you want to be with. Enjoy the single life!
4. Have fun! This period in your life will eventually pass and you will have new adventures. Right now, while you are discovering who you are, is the time to have fun and be proud of your accomplishments.
5. Find someone who thinks you are beautiful at any size.
Don’t be nervous! It might be easy to tell yourself that you aren’t pretty enough or you have too much loose skin or you are too fat. Ignore those thoughts! You are beautiful and you need to rock this new life of yours!