Article By: Whittany Gibson, RDN
Whittany is a Registered Dietitian Nutritionist who specializes in bariatric nutrition counseling, providing education and support prior to and following weight loss surgery.
Summer is notorious for scorching temperatures... The heat can make outdoor activities nearly unbearable for anyone, let alone those who have undergone weight loss surgery. While we all know that exercise is crucial for post-op success, the heat can make it tough to engage in physical activity outdoors. But don't worry! There are plenty of indoor workouts you can do to stay cool and healthy, even on the hottest of days. In this blog post, we'll share some indoor workout options suitable for those who have undergone weight loss surgery.
1) HIIT workouts. High-Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) is a great way to burn calories and improve your cardiovascular health. HIIT workouts are short, intense bouts of exercise followed by a brief period of rest. To create a full-body workout, you can combine different exercises such as jumping jacks, mountain climbers, squats, and lunges. HIIT workouts are perfect for when you're short on time and want to get in a quick sweat. They’re also great for combining both cardiovascular exercise and resistance training.
2) Yoga. Yoga is a low-impact workout that can improve your strength, flexibility, and balance. Practicing yoga can also help you relax and reduce stress, ultimately leading to better mental health. You can practice yoga at home, use online resources like YouTube videos, or attend a yoga studio. It's a great indoor workout that can benefit your physical and mental well-being.
3) Strength training. Weight lifting can help you build muscle and boost your metabolism. Strength training can also prevent muscle loss after weight loss surgery, ensuring you maintain your weight loss results. You can use resistance bands, hand weights, or even household objects like water bottles to perform strength training exercises.
4) Dance. Dancing is a fun and exciting way to burn calories and get your heart pumping. You can take online dance classes or use videos for dance routines. Dancing can improve your coordination, balance, and overall mood, providing an enjoyable and entertaining full-body workout.
- Try this beginner 30-minute Zumba exercise: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZeFvX3ALKY
5) Swimming. If you have access to a pool, swimming is an excellent way to get a full-body workout while staying cool and still getting your Vitamin D! Swimming is a low-impact exercise that helps you burn calories and strengthen muscles. You can do laps around the pool or even try aquatic exercises like water aerobics.
- Give these a try: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-3wdQsz0dM
Do you have low levels of Vitamin D (also known as the "sunshine" vitamin)? Ensure you stay on top of your supplementation if you plan on being indoors most of the summer. Click here to try BariMelts D3 in a yummy apple flavor: https://www.barimelts.com/products/d3
In conclusion, while the heat can make it challenging to stay active during the summer, there are plenty of indoor workouts that you can do to maintain your physical health after weight loss surgery. Remember, consistency is key, so try to find indoor workouts that you enjoy and can do regularly.
If you need additional support or guidance, consider working with a personal trainer or attending an online workout class. Don't let the temperature discourage you from achieving your goals! Instead, find ways to stay active and challenge yourself. You got this!
BariMelts provides general recommendations, not to be construed as medical advice. Please consult your doctor.