Life after bariatric surgery is different. Very different. There are some things I feel like I wasn’t prepared for and I want to share those with you today. Here is a list of 10 things I wish I knew before having Gastric Sleeve.
- When you eat too much, it hurts. People are not lying about this. You really cannot eat like a normal human.
- You won’t physically be hungry. Don’t let this freak you out, it’s normal.
- You will feel nauseous after surgery. Your stomach has drastically changed and your body is trying to get used to it. It’s uncomfortable, but it will get better.
- You’ll get drunk a lot faster! You also probably won’t have a hangover the next day so that’s pretty cool.
- Your tastes might change and you might prefer different foods.
- Not everything with sugar will give you dumping syndrome. Yes, a lot of it will but there are some things that will not give it to you. Watch out for those trigger foods and don’t put them back into your diet.
- People will make you feel very weird if you don’t finish your food, especially at restaurants. Waiters will think that you don’t like your food and will sometimes make you feel awkward for not eating. If you haven’t told your friends or family about the surgery, meal time will be hard because they will be confused why you aren’t eating. Tip: order off the kid’s menu! It will make it easier for you to finish.
- Heartburn is something you might have to deal with. Tums have become my best friend because of painful acid reflux.
- Soda eventually won’t be painful and will be easier for you to put back into your diet. Soda should not be consumed after surgery so don’t let your guard down when you get farther out.
- Your food addiction will still be there. This surgery will not fix it. You will still crave food and there will be mental hunger like ever before.
I truly believe that if I would have been better prepared for these 10 items, I would have been more successful after this surgery. I hope these help you get equipped for surgery!